Financial Planning Update
Five Key Factors In Funding A Child's Education
Published Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at: 7:00 AM EST
The Tax Cuts And Jobs Act (TCJA) changed funding a child's education significantly. Here are five factors to consider.
1. You can now pay tuition for kindergarten through 12th grade at private, public or religious schools with money saved in tax-advantaged 529 college savings accounts.
2. You now can draw up to $10,000 federally tax-free per student from a 529 plan. While contributions are not deductible, earnings grow free of federal income tax on withdrawals used for qualified school expenses.
3. You are not limited to 529 plans sponsored by your state and can choose from a long list of 529s sponsored by other states.
4. The TCJA axed taxes on alimony payments, so custodial parents should have it easier qualifying for need-based aid.
5. Tax deductions for interest on home equity loans and lines of credit were eliminated. These are major sources of education funding and losing their deductibility may require a change in your college funding plan.
Education tax breaks were boosted overall by the TCJA, but you almost must be a financial professional to navigate the complexities confidently. We are here to answer questions and create a strategic approach.
© 2022 Advisor Products Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Key Tariffs, Rates And Economic Facts To Note In Fearful Times
- High Income Earners & Roth Conversion
- Time Itemized Deductions To Reduce Taxes
- The Big New Tax Break For Pre-Retired Professionals
- Sidestepping New Limits On Charitable Donations
- The Truth About U.S. GDP Growth
- Another Member Of Music Royalty Dies With No Will
- Paying Off A Mortgage And The New Tax Code
- Key Facts On Deducting Medical Expenses
- Reduce Your Widow's Tax Bill Materially Annually
- Ten Things About 10-Year U.S. Stock Market Performance
- Qualifying For The New Business Owner Tax Break
- Your Alma Mater Or Your Family?
- This Is Not Your Parents' Interest Rate Cycle
- If Family Is Wealth, Then Planning Is Immortality